Wednesday 30 April 2008

Major (Label) Disappointment?



Whilst all the hoohah surrounding Jay-Z at Glastonbury was kicking off and a flood of announcements from rival festivals hitting the music press, the organisers of this year's V Festival had been keeping pretty quite since the first batch of names broke - until now. Estelle, Sam Sparro, Calvin Harris, The Stranglers, Captain, Presets, Alphabeat, Royworld, Delays, Michael Franti w/Spearhead, The Script, and Air Traffic complete the second batch of additions to the V Festival line-up and I've got to say I'm still pretty underwhelmed so far.

V has always had a reputation as the most corporate and soulless of all the summer festivals, which I always thought was harsh as there were always jewels to be found somewhere on the list - I have particularly fond memories of Cypress Hill back in 98, though a glance to the list so far reveals Prodigy aside, a lack of a name that promises to do something similar this time round.

Maybe its due to huge amount of festivals that are about these days that the big 3 struggle to attract a depth of line-up that they previously did, with many cult acts that would fill up the bill signing deals to headline the lesser-known festivals that are cropping up all the time. However I do hope that V manage to surprise me like they did last year with the announcements of Graham Coxon and the smaller stages to save me from hitting ebay with my hard-earned ticket.

No comments: